With Week 7 of college football in the books, it’s time to take a look back at the weird and wonderful. The funny and flabbergasting. The amazing but accurate. The strange, but true.
1/2 year of Tua = 1 career of Joe Namath
Former Tide QB Joe Namath is arguably the most famous Alabama quarterback of all time. For his career, Broadway Joe threw 24 TDs. Through 6 games THIS YEAR ALONE, current Tide QB Tua Tagovailoa has 27 TDs. In fact, Namath played in 30 games in his career and had 24 TDs and 20 ints. Tagavailoa has played in 29 games in his career and has 81 TDs and only 9 ints. That’s just a LITTLE bit of an improvement.
The entire South Carolina/Georgia game was Strange, but true
Anytime an unranked, 24.5-pt underdog South Carolina beats a #3 ranked, undefeated Georgia team, chances are some Strange, but true things are going to happen. And this game did not disappoint. Let’s break it down bullet point style:
- This was the first time that South Carolina had won as 20+ pt underdog in 40 years.
- Georgia had won 15 straight games vs the SEC East
- In games in which he’s thrown 30+ passes in a game, Jake Fromm is now 0-5. Yikes!
- Georgia kicker Rodrigo Blankenship had been perfect on the season before missing not one, but two kicks in a game that was ultimately decided in 2OT by 3 points. On top of that, those misses dropped Blankenship from the 10th most accurate kicker in NCAA history to the 27th most accurate kicker in NCAA history. Ouch!
- It’s not a stat, but South Carolina went into Athens, and beat the Bulldogs with their 3rd string QB. If that’s not Strange, but true, we don’t know what it.
The answer to the question below is Arizona St
Since 1936, which team has gone the most games in a row while scoring 10+ points? What do you think? Oklahoma? Ohio St, maybe? USC or some other blue blood? Actually, the answer is surprisingly Arizona St. That’s probably pretty shocking to everyone out there that doesn’t read section headings. With the Sun Devils’ 38-34 victory over Washington St, it marked the 125th consecutive time in which ASU has scored at least 10 points in a game, an NCAA record. The fact that we’re still #FirmForHerm is one of the Strangest, but truest facts of them all.